Build 15 - Performance!
This build is all about performance. A massive C++ game refactor has reduced RAM usage (and made it more predictable), as well as eking out a bit of frame-rate. The real performance win is in the render code:
- Switched to the forward renderer.
- Removed Parallax Occlusion Mapping (POM); it looked good, but not that much better than bump mapping - and was slowing things down quite a bit.
- Removed sway from vegetation where it was hurting framerates.
- ALL terrain now uses a unified ubershader.
- Removed fancy subsurface light scattering from grass; you can't really tell the difference, and it is much faster.
- Generated and implemented LOD levels for all skeletal meshes.
- Removed unused plugins and physics models.
- Removed "distance fields" - I didn't know they were enabled (!), and removing them almost doubled frame-rates.
- Optimized "scene capture" for dialogue and player portrait renders. MUCH faster.
So while there isn't a lot of new content in here, the game runs much better. I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you run into any issues.
Get One Knight in the Dungeon
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.